• Shop By Department
  • Search

    How to Purchase NFA Items Online

    General Information for NFA Firearms and Suppressors

    National Firearms Act (NFA or Class III), items commonly available for purchase include:

    1. Machine Guns manufactured before 19 May 1986 
    2. Short-Barreled Rifles
    3. Short-Barreled Shotguns,
    4. Suppressors (Silencers), and any part comprising a suppressor

    Who Can Purchas NFA Items

    Ownership of a NFA firearm or suppressors is available to Individuals, Corporations, and Trusts. Which entity you choose to purchase under is up to you, but we at K-Var recommend getting qualified advice from a knowledgeable source, such as an attorney, before deciding to purchase under a trust or corporation.

    How Much Does it Cost to Purchas NFA Items

    An individual purchasing an existing NFA item is required to pay a onetime, $200.00 transfer tax to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives in addition to the purchase price of the item and the receiving dealer's transfer fee.  Should the NFA item be transferred to another person in the future, a separate transfer tax must be paid at that time by the new prospective owner. This $200.00 tax is commonly referred to as a "tax stamp."

    What Forms Must be Filed to Purchas NFA Items  

    A transferring FFL dealer will usually assist with the filing of ATF Form 5320.4, also known as a “Form 4.” This form is required in order to transfer a NFA item from the receiving FFL to an individual. Two copies of the Form 4 will be submitted to the ATF and a third copy should be mailed to the Chief Law Enforcement Officer of the county that the customer resides.

    What is Required to Complete a Form 4

    1. THREE completed and signed Form 4s. TWO copies will be sent off to the ATF (they will keep one copy and send the second copy back with your approval and tax stamp). The remaining ONE copy will be sent to the Chief Law Enforcement Officer in your county.
    2. TWO fingerprint cards, these can be completed at your local Sheriff's Office.
    3. TWO passport sized photos, 2" x 2" inch. AND
    4. ONE check or money order made out to “BATFE” in the amount of $200.00.

    All of the above will be required for EACH NFA item that is purchased, even if multiple NFA items are purchased at once.

    How Long is the Wait Period for ATF Approval of a Form 4

    Wait time for ATF approval of a Form 4 varies, but is currently between 6-12 months.

    What is the Age Requirement for Purchasing NFA Items

    You must be 21 years old.

    How do I Purchas a NFA Item from K-Var

    Barring certain federal, state, or local prohibitions, any individual who is at least 21 years of age and is currently able to purchase a non-NFA firearm is also eligible to purchase a NFA firearm.  The only real difference is that when it comes to shipping, an FFL dealer that also has a Special Occupational Tax License will need to be selected.  To simplify we at K-Var only need three things to complete an online NFA order:

    1. Payment: You will pay us for the firearm or suppressor in full at the time of purchase (there are no layaway purchase plans for NFA items).
    2. Your dealer's Federal Firearms License (FFL).
    3. Your dealer's Special Occupational Tax License (SOT):

    K-Var must ship a NFA firearm or suppressor directly to a receiving FFL, so a copy of the receiving dealer's FFL and SOT is required. They can email, fax, or physically mail these to us at:

    4235 West Post Rd
    Las Vegas, NV, 89118 

    Email: [email protected]
    Fax Number: 702-307-2303 

    Prior to Ordering NFA items from K-Var

    1. Find a licensed NFA FFL dealer in your area
    2. Contact the dealer and let them know you would like to receive a NFA item for transfer.
    3. Be sure to ask about the FFL dealer’s transfer fee, which is typically $50-$100.
    4. Provide your FFL dealer with K-Var’s contact information so they can send us their FFL and SOT (if they are not already on file with us). Be sure to have them reference your name and order number when sending over their information.
    5. Once you have selected an FFL for your transfer, please indicate the dealer's name on your order so we know where to ship your NFA item.


    Once the NFA item is received by your designated FFL PLEASE INSPECT THE NFA ITEM THOROUGHLY to make sure that there are NO defects! If there are any problems whatsoever, DO NOT FILL OUT FORM 4! Once the Form 4 is filled out, the firearm or suppressor is considered used and must be returned directly to the manufacturer for warranty repair or replacement. Prior to filling the Form 4 please notify K-Var and we will gladly have the NFA item returned to us and repaired or a replacement sent out. That said, K-Var will not accept any returned NFA item for any reason, other than a manufacturer's defect.

    Before processing a NFA order, K-Var will always double check and confirm the order. If you decide to cancel the order after conformation has been made there will be a 15% cancellation fee. This 15% cancelation fee also applies to any returned NFA item that is illegal in your state. Because of this, please verify that the NFA item you desire to purchase is legal in your state before starting the order. Some states permit all types of NFA items, other states permit only certain types, and a few states do not permit any NFA items at all.  For more detailed information, contact the local ATF office in your state or the ATF/NFA branch in Martinsburg, West Virginia: Phone: (304) 616-4500 Email: [email protected]